Monday 12 March 2012

Knock, knock, knock. Penny!

Strained greetings, blog-lovers across the world.

As I sit here cradling a Lemsip, rocking backwards and forwards and telling myself I'm not about to collapse and die, I must first apologise for the lack of a blog over the past two weeks. I've been fighting off a bit of a bug recently which, combined with work and other commitments rendered me literarily challenged (not literally challenged as spellcheck would have me believe, an entirely different meaning!). Additionally, Bioware's much anticipated Mass Effect 3 was released a few days ago, so in between work and slowly asphyxiating on my own phlegm I've been trying to save humanity from an evil race of super-aliens. Priorities, obviously.

However, one thing I have been doing plenty of is lying in bed, and that's given me ample opportunity to watch one of my favourite recent programmes through it's DVD box-set. A box-set that my girlfriend has recently borrowed, I might add, because she's become rather addicted to said programme. I'm talking about The Big Bang Theory, an American sitcom that's just finished airing it's fifth season in the US.

For anyone unfamiliar with the show, it centres around the lives of two physicists who share an apartment, Leonard and Sheldon, their two colleagues and friends Raj and Howard, and their neighbour Penny who Leonard is in love with and is the clear object for his affections from the very first episode. I decided to write a post about it partly because I've been watching it recently, so it's been on my mind and I needed a decent subject. But also I think it's particular type of comedy is very interesting, especially from a British point of view looking towards an American sitcom.

Much of the show's humour comes from the actions and reactions of Sheldon, played expertly by Jim Parsons (in fact often cited as a reason for the show's success). Here is a little clip just to show you what I mean:


Sheldon's character is played in a very deadpan manner, which I think is something that particularly appeals to me as someone who's grown up with often very witty and pithy British comedies. Sheldon is extremely anal about cleanliness, grammar, and just about any issue he feels he is correct about (which is all of them). Extremely arrogant and intelligent, he never misses a chance to let people know they've made a mistake.

A highly unlikeable character were we to meet him in real life, and yet there's something incredibly funny about watching him interact with (read, make a living hell for) other people. I think it's because Parson's delivers the lines completely straightfaced, as can be seen above, that makes them so funny. While there is nothing new about this, it isn't seen that often in American comedies (particularly the type of stuff from co-creator Chuck Lorre, famous for also creating the laughably unfunny Two and a Half Men).

Perhaps it's also the fact that he has to deliver some very intelligent sounding scientific formulae without so much as cracking the briefest hint of a little smile. Parson's reels off lengthy science jargon, which while itself isn't funny, I think the juxtaposition with the context of the character's banal daily lives makes it stand out and therefore amusing. But I'm sure all this has been said before by much cleverer men and women than I. Probably by Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Pasadena.

The rest of the show is of course very interesting to watch, as are the other characters. Much of it's "plot" focuses on Leonard, his relationship with Sheldon and the others but mostly on his affections for Penny, which are shaken around almost as much as an elastic band in the hands of a small child. From the moment he sees her, you know they're going to end up together somehow, but I think we sometimes like knowing a relationship will happen and watching to simply find out how. It's not particularly original, and neither is the character of Penny who fulfils the standard role of "pretty blonde who plays a bit dumb". Having said that, she's still very likeable, and in contrast with the others she is still very interesting to watch.

Howard and Raj fill the obligatory positions of racially aware writers, eager to show everyone how politically correct and accepting they are. But again they're still likeable and funny characters, often playing on their racial stereotypes for humour (for instance, Howard being Jewish often eats non-Kosher food) and providing the extra throughlines in the plot in order for us to stay entertained. My only real complaint is that as the show progresses, all the characters proceed to become involved in relationships of some kind, which, while still interesting, begins to detract from some of what makes it funny (the science people, won't anyone think of the science?!). Only Raj is yet to have any kind of real, meaningful relationship, which itself becomes a running - or perhaps, slowly limping - joke.

naiza
You know you're famous when you're on a Demotivational poster.

All in all, however, I really enjoy The Big Bang Theory, and look forward to watching it decline into standard American slapstick-soap-culture status with true British snobbery. And that, dear readers, is all for today.

But fear not, plenty is going on here down in the south-west, and in the coming weeks there will be plenty for me to blog about. For instance, as previously mentioned Mass Effect 3 has recently been released, so I'll probably offer up my thoughts on it once I'm far enough in to give an opinion. Furthermore, a new favourite band of mine Dry the River have recently released their first album, 'Shallow Bed', which will also get an entry. And finally, I've been reading Scar Tissue, the autobiography of Red Hot Chili Peppers frontman Anthony Kiedis. And of course for my friend Anna, there will eventually be a post dedicated entirely to the subject of potatoes, because "you English love them so much". So lots of lovely future blog entries for you.

I'll leave you with a little interesting fact for the week: laptops are a lot harder to write on when you're used to a fully raised desktop keyboard. I should be thankful I can borrow this at all, but I'm sulking, so there.
~ Toby

4 comments:

Dan said...

One of the things I love most about Sheldon, is aside from the fact that he's the room mate directly from hell of course. Is that in certain episodes he shows he's a good person, and relatively lovely chap.

Examples such as the one where he lent Penny money, willy-nilly, and took her to the hospital for that matter.
And one of the episodes where he awoke both Penny & Leonard, and offered them a beverage.


Lovely blog, Tobias. Dan Reed approves.

Kayleigh Herbertson said...

I felt that the first season was quite shy about the science jokes and then they were quite shocked by how people adored Sheldon. They upped the science for a while but you're right and now they just focus on relationships and the expanding cast's interactions with one another. I'm loved and hated what Amy has done to the series on a regular basis.

yanmaneee said...

supreme clothing
moncler outlet
cheap jordans
supreme
kobe 9
off white hoodie
christian louboutin
yeezy boost
adidas nmd
kd shoes

steycough said...

Extra resources Ysl replica handbags he said buy replica bags online additional reading designer replica luggage

Creative Commons Licence
Not tonight dear, I have a headache. by Toby Cadenhead is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.