Monday 23 April 2012

With the birds I'll share this lonely view.

Greetings fellow blog-enthusiasts!

There was no blog last week because my internet was down for a few days, and I thought I'd save the one I had planned for today. The week before I was on holiday, and spent the day lying in bed doing nothing productive whatsoever. And loved it.

However, this week I have no excuse, because if I didn't share this with you then quite frankly I'd be doing you all a terrible disservice. This week I'll be talking a little bit about Anthony Kiedis' autobiography, Scar Tissue. (Sorry Anna, it's not about potatoes this time...)

Barnes & Noble (fair use policy)
Strange, yet beautiful. Anthony Kiedis all over then.
 
Despite having been a huge fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers since I bought their By The Way album when I was twelve (which grew into an obsessive collection consisting of all studio albums, their greatest hits, a live album and a t-shirt, no tattoo yet...), a mere two years before this book was released, I was only turned onto it in recent years by a friend. Even then, it took me another year or two to finally get around to buying and reading it. And I can say as a fan of both the Chilis and of books, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

I suppose I'm a little biased in that I was already a fan and so had a prior interest. While I don't think that's required in any way to enjoy this book, it does give you an incentive to read it. That said, it's fantastically written and an interesting story that's both near unbelievable yet also an easily accessible example of the human condition. In the same way I wouldn't one day mind reading about Kurt Cobain, despite having no real interest in Nirvana. Please, no hate mail.

If you do have an interest in Anthony or the Chilis, this book is not to be missed. You gain a fantastic insight into their history, including the many (many!) changes in their line-up, and the evolution of their musical style. But this isn't just a documentary, as each member change, gig, rehearsal or album release is accompanied by Kiedis' huge desire for making music and sharing it with people. It sounds incredibly cliché, but there's an unmissable honesty in the tone reminiscent of a boy singing along to his favourite band and wanting everyone he meets to hear it.

One of the most interesting, controversial and most focused-on aspects of the book is Anthony's drug use. And I'm not just talking about your standard rockstar drug binging, this man seems to have tried and abused most drugs available, and survived to tell the tale. Something I find noteworthy is a comment on the cover, taken from a review by The Sunday Times. The reviewer states that Kiedis' talks about his drug use 'with wide-eyed relish and a refreshing lack of rehab remorse'. I both agree and disagree with that statement. On the one hand, Kiedis is exceptionally honest about his experiences and never preaches about how he's better now, you shouldn't do drugs. He never denies the positive experiences the drugs gave him. That said, he also never denies the negative effects, nor does he claim rehab wasn't a better idea than continuing to use drugs, and his hard work to remain sober is evident. I think he sums up his addiction best: "It was ugly, and there is nothing I know that hurts as bad, but I wouldn't trade it for a minute. It's that appreciation of every emotion in the spectrum that I live for." Take from that what you will.

wallace044
He may be getting older, but nothing is stopping him rocking!

Finally, I'd like to make a mention of the writing style. Perhaps it's because he's had years of experience as a vocalist, but Kiedis writing is very poetic. It's quite spiritual, and he seems to have a genuine appreciation of the varied aspects of life. From the highest highs to the lowest lows, he relates them honestly and vividly, never skimping on the details in either case.

I highly urge you to read this book, if not for your love of Anthony of the Chilis then for the genuine tale of human tragedy and success. I'll leave you with the prospect of another poetry filled post next week, and the following quote from Brian O'Driscoll: "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."

~ Toby


1 comment:

nesesegoa said...

important site replica bags delhi check out here replica bags online shopping india click to read more replica bags prada

Creative Commons Licence
Not tonight dear, I have a headache. by Toby Cadenhead is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.